Call us: 651-291-7263
Menu Call Now

Minnesota Intersection Accident

Minnesota Intersection Accident - Sand Law LLC

An accident at an intersection is one of the worst types of car wrecks. You’re minding your own business, driving safely, when a negligent driver strikes your vehicle out of nowhere. They might have run a red light, failed to stop at a stop sign, or made one of a number of other potential mistakes.

Where do you turn to get justice, to obtain compensation for any injuries or property damage you may have suffered. Your first call should be to Sand Law. We have a team of skilled car accident attorneys who know how to hold negligent drivers accountable. Our attorneys will work to uncover the evidence needed to prove your case so you can once again be financially whole.

If you would like a free review of your case, we invite you to get in touch with us as soon as you can. Just use our convenient online form or give us a call at 651-291-7263 to learn more about how we may be able to help.

There are a lot of different reasons that intersection accidents occur. Here’s a look at some of the more common ones, as well as information on how an attorney can be of assistance.

Types of Intersections and How They Cause Car Accidents

The vast majority of the time, people are able to navigate different kinds of intersections with no problem. But there are some instances where drivers cause accidents because they’re either not paying attention, or they’re simply in too much of a hurry. Weather conditions can play a role as well. A blinding Minnesota snowstorm can make it almost impossible for drivers to see what they’re doing.

These are a few of the issues that can arise at certain types of intersections.

4-Way Intersections

We’re all familiar with a 4-way intersection. If two or more vehicles are present, there are specific rules that govern who gets to go first. For example, the first car to pull up has the right-of-way. When two vehicles stop at the same time, the one on the right is allowed to proceed first.

A 4-way intersection will typically have either a stop sign or a red light on each corner. Drivers who follow the rules often have no idea that a negligent driver has chosen to ignore the law. The results can be devastating.

“T” Intersections

This is a junction where three roads meet, and looks like the letter “T.” You will likely see a warning sign informing you that you’re about to approach a T intersection. That gives you time to slow down and prepare for traffic coming from either side. The rules for a T intersection depend on whether it’s either controlled (has stop signs or traffic lights) or uncontrolled (with no sign or light).

In a controlled intersection, the signs/lights will tell drivers who has the right of way. When a T intersection is uncontrolled, the driver traveling on the road that ends at the T must yield to pedestrians or other drivers

This kind of intersection can oftentimes lead to so-called “T-bone” accidents, where a negligent driver plows into the side of a vehicle that has the right-of-way. A T-bone wreck can result in severe injuries as well as fatalities.

Merging Intersections

A driver will sometimes try to illegally change lanes or merge with other traffic while going through the middle of an intersection. When this happens, that can lead to a side-swipe accident. This will sometimes create a sort of domino effect, where one driver loses control and either hits another car or an object, such as a traffic sign or a building.

Injuries Associated with Intersection Accidents

You may think that, since cars tend to travel relatively slowly through intersections, any injuries resulting from a collision would be relatively minor. That’s not always the case. A T-bone wreck, for example, can result in serious injuries. Drivers, passengers, pedestrians and others can suffer traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, severe lacerations, spinal cord injuries and more.

How to Determine Liability in an Intersection Accident

It can be incredibly scary to be involved in any sort of accident, of course, but an accident at an intersection is especially troubling. Again, most drivers who are hit have absolutely no idea what’s coming, or how it happened. You only know that you were obeying the rules, and someone else struck your vehicle.

In this sort of instance, the negligent driver will be the one determined to be at fault. They may have been distracted, failed to yield at a T intersection, and broadsided your car as a result. That driver will be responsible for paying for your property damage as well as treatment for your injuries.

But you’ll need the help of an experienced attorney in order to have the best chances of obtaining the compensation you deserve. Your attorney will be able to find the evidence needed in order to build the strongest possible case on your behalf.

What Should I Do After an Intersection Accident?

How do you get that evidence? How do you prove the other driver was distracted, or driving in some sort of other negligent fashion? One of the best ways to do so is to take photos and/or videos of the accident scene if possible. You also need to get medical attention as soon as you can. Even if you seem to feel fine, there’s a chance you could have an injury that won’t be apparent for several days.

Get the contact information of the other driver, and also talk to anyone who may have seen what happened. Ask those witnesses for their contact information as well.

Do I Need to Hire a Car Accident Attorney?

The answer to this question is an emphatic, “Yes.” An attorney will provide you with the best chance of getting the money you need to pay for your medical bills, property damage, and any other losses, or “damages,” you may have suffered. Your attorney will also help you avoid some of the more common mistakes people who don’t have legal representation make – mistakes that could seriously reduce the amount of compensation they may be able to obtain.

Sand Law attorneys have a long, successful track record of helping clients who have been hurt due to the negligence of other drivers. Please contact us online or call 651-291-7263 for a free consultation.