Call us: 651-291-7263
Menu Call Now

Minnesota Workplace Accident Attorneys

men working - Minnesota Workplace Accident Attorneys - sand law llc

Were you injured at work and are having trouble paying your bills? You may need to speak to a workplace accident attorney.

Depending on what industry you work in, injuries can be pretty common. If you’ve ever filed for workers’ compensation, you know just how difficult it can be to get your workplace to pay your medical bills and to allow you to take the needed time off from work. But what are you supposed to do if they refuse to pay your medical bills?

Common Types of Workplace Accidents and Injuries

Working in a dangerous field, like construction, police work, transportation/shipping, or manufacturing, can put you at risk for workplace injuries. According to the National Safety Council, every 7 seconds a worker is injured on the job. That means that over 510 workers are injured an hour. That equates to about 4.5 million workplace injuries a year. The most common injuries include sprains, strains, or tears, soreness or pain, and cuts, lacerations, or punctures.

The top three workplace events that result in people becoming injured are:

  • overexertion
  • contact with dangerous objects and equipment
  • slips, trips, and falls

Overexertion accounts for 33.54% of all workplace injuries and can happen when a worker does the same motion over and over again, like lifting and lowering boxes all day.

Contact with dangerous objects and equipment accounts for 26% of injuries. This includes being struck by or against a piece of equipment, being caught in a piece of equipment, or being struck, caught, or crushed in a collapsing structure.

Slips, trips, and falls account for 25.8% of all injuries and include falls to a lower level or falls on the same level.

Common Construction Site Accidents

Construction sites fall into the top five most dangerous workplaces and for good reason. Because construction workers work with large equipment and hazardous materials, they’re much more susceptible to accidents than an office worker. Common accidents include:

  • Crane or hoist accidents
  • Falls from heights
  • Slips and falls
  • Repetitive stress injuries
  • Gas leaks, fires, and explosions
  • Forklift accidents
  • Trench accidents
  • Struck-by and caught-between accidents
  • Exposure to hazardous chemicals or toxins
  • Work vehicle accidents

As you can see, there are many different ways that construction workers can be injured on the job. From heavy machinery accidents, like forklifts and cranes, to electrocutions or fires, there are many risks to be aware of while on a construction site. Because of this, there are also many safety precautions to take.

However, if you’re injured, you may be eligible for workers compensation and time off from work. Because these injuries can be more severe, you may need a workplace accident attorney on your side to make sure you get the best compensation package.

What to do after you have been hurt at work

The first and most important thing to do after you’ve been injured is to get medical attention right away. Whether you need to be patched up by a few bandages or need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, this is the first thing that needs to be done.

After obtaining the first aid necessary for your particular injury, make sure to notify your supervisor about the incident as soon as you can after it has occurred. If you don’t inform your supervisor right away, you may lose the right to workers compensation benefits. In most states, you have about 30 days to inform your supervisor. However, in Minnesota you have 180 days to report your injury. The next step is to then complete a claim for workers compensation.

Can I be fired for reporting a workplace injury?

Most states, including Minnesota, have made it illegal to fire someone solely because of their workplace injury. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires an employer to make reasonable accommodations before firing an employee. If the employee doesn’t make these required accommodations, you may be able to take legal action. The employer also may try to harass you into quitting, or make you feel uncomfortable continuing on at the job. So no, you cannot be legally fired with filing a workplace related injury to receive workers compensation.

How long do I have to report a workplace injury or file a claim?

In the state of Minnesota, you have 180 days from the day you are injured to report a workplace injury to your supervisor. This long period of time is unusual in most states, but Minnesota recognizes that you may have a repetitive strain injury or other delayed injury from your accident that you may not realize right away.

What types of benefits can I get for a workplace injury?

After your injury, and after your claim is accepted, you will receive certain benefits depending on the severity of your injury and whether or not you’re able to continue working. Of course, you’ll obtain medical care for whatever injuries you have and your medical bills will be covered.

You may also be awarded with temporary disability or permanent disability benefits. Disability payments will provide you with partial compensation for your loss of wages. This payment normally equals about two-thirds of your normal weekly paycheck.

You may also be eligible for vocational rehabilitation, which is similar to disability. If your injury prevents you from returning to work, you may receive vocational rehab to help you get a completely different job. You will also receive a partial income, like disability benefits. You may also receive wage loss benefits if you’re temporarily unable to work.

Contact Experienced Minnesota Workplace Accident Attorneys

If you’ve been injured at work and you don’t feel like you’re getting the benefits you deserve, contact an experienced Minnesota workplace accident attorney today. We’ll be able to help you file your claim and get the money and benefits you deserve. Contact us online or by calling 651-291-7263 for more information and for a free case evaluation.