Anyone who is seriously injured in a car wreck that wasn’t their fault wants justice. They know they shouldn’t be forced to pay for their medical bills and other expenses when they weren’t responsible for the accident in the first place. But if you’re the one who was hurt due to another driver’s negligence, how do you go about making sure you’ll get the justice you deserve?
You get in touch with the West St. Paul car accident lawyers with Sand Law. We have extensive experience in cases like this, and we’ll provide the aggressive, effective representation you need. You’ll be able to count on us to do everything we possibly can to help you get every penny you have coming.
Minnesota vs. United States Car Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were nearly 36,000 fatal car accidents in the U.S. in 2020. These accidents resulted in 38,824 deaths.
One way to compare stats in a certain state to the overall picture of motor vehicle deaths throughout the country is to look at deaths per population, as well as miles traveled. There were 11.7 deaths per population of 100,000, and 1.34 fatalities per 100 million miles that were driven.
From that perspective, Minnesota drivers fare significantly better than those in the rest of the nation. There were 394 fatalities in 2020 – 6.9 per 100,000 people, and .76 deaths per 100 million miles driven.
Common Causes of West St Paul Car Accidents
Of course, even one car accident death is one too many – whether that’s in Minnesota or anywhere else in the U.S. – or anywhere in the world, for that matter. So, why do these accidents take place?
There are many factors that can contribute to car accidents, and the specific cause of an accident can often be complex and multifaceted. Some common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving. Distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, or eating while driving can take a driver’s attention away from the road, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Impaired driving. Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can impair a driver’s judgment and reaction times, making it more likely for an accident to occur.
- Speeding. Excessive speed can make it more difficult for a driver to control their vehicle and can increase the severity of an accident if one occurs.
- Failing to follow traffic laws and signals. Disobeying traffic signals or failing to yield the right of way can lead to accidents, particularly at intersections.
- Poor road conditions. Poorly maintained roads or hazardous weather conditions can make it more difficult for drivers to control their vehicles, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Vehicle malfunctions. Accidents can also be caused by mechanical failures or defects in the vehicle, such as faulty brakes or tires.
Types of Car Accidents and Associated Injuries
There are not only several causes of a car accident, there are several types of wrecks as well. While all of them can lead to severe injuries, certain types of injuries tend to result from specific kinds of accidents.
For example, a rear-end collision can cause the neck of the driver being hit to snap back and forth violently, resulting in whiplash. One of the most devastating accidents, a head-on collision, can leave a victim with a severe traumatic brain injury.
Steps to Take After a West St Paul Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, it’s important to stay calm and take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention. You might not think you were seriously injured in the accident, but it’s still a good idea to call 911. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not immediately show symptoms. If you delay medical attention, your condition will likely get much worse – and you’ll also damage your case.
- Talk to the police. A police officer will be dispatched to the scene to investigate the accident and submit an official report, which could provide critically important evidence. Tell the officer exactly what happened, to the best of your ability.
- Exchange information. Collect the names, contact information, and insurance info of any other motorists involved in the accident. If there are witnesses to the accident, get their names and contact information as well.
- Document the accident. Take photos of the accident scene, including the damage to all of the vehicles involved. Also, make note of the weather and road conditions at the time of the accident.
- Notify your insurance company. Contact your insurer as soon as possible to report the accident and begin the claims process.
Do You Need to Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
The simple answer is, “Yes.” An attorney can work to recover damages or negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurance company on your behalf. Here are some situations in which you’ll definitely need the help of a skilled legal representative:
- You have suffered serious injuries. If you have suffered serious injuries as a result of a car accident, an attorney can help you recover damages, the financial losses such as medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs associated with your injuries.
- The other driver was at fault. If the other driver was at fault for the accident, an attorney can help you build a case to prove negligence and seek damages.
- The insurance company is not offering a fair settlement. If you and the insurance company are unable to reach a fair settlement, an attorney can help you negotiate a better settlement or take your case to court if that settlement isn’t forthcoming.
An attorney can immediately launch an investigation, collecting the proof you’ll need to have the best chance of obtaining full and fair compensation.
Contact Sand Law to Speak to an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
You obviously don’t believe you should be forced to bear all of the financial burdens associated with the injuries you’ve suffered in a car accident. You were doing everything right, and driving in the safest manner possible – yet here you are through no fault of your own.
The West St. Paul car accident lawyers with Sand Law feel the same way. We want to help you obtain the compensation you deserve for the suffering you’ve had to experience. You focus on your recovery – we’ll take care of everything else. If you would like to schedule a free consultation, contact us online or call 651-291-7263.