Truck accidents can cause significant injuries that can have lifelong consequences. The lasting consequences of a truck accident injury may include physical pain, debilitation, emotional trauma, and financial hardship.
If you’ve suffered a terrible injury in a truck accident caused by another’s negligence, you must understand the lasting consequences of your injury and your legal rights to compensation. A truck accident attorney with Sand Law will fight for your rights and do everything we can to help you obtain maximum compensation.
Types of Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can cause devastating injuries that can lead to decades of misery and rob a victim of their ability to do the things they love. Some common injuries resulting from truck accidents include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): TBIs often occur due to a sudden jolt or blow to the head. These injuries can cause headaches, confusion, memory loss, and other cognitive problems.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can be severe and cause paralysis. Victims may experience a loss of sensation, muscle weakness, and other neurological problems that can last decades.
- Broken bones: The force of a truck accident can cause bones to break or fracture. Broken bones can be painful and require extensive medical treatment. In some instances, they can make it impossible to live a normal life.
- Burns: Truck accidents can result in fires or explosions, causing severe burn injuries. Burns can lead to scarring, disfigurement, and psychological trauma. Treatment for severe burns can involve skin grafts, which are often excruciating.
- Amputations: In severe truck accidents, victims may lose limbs or require amputation. This can result in a significant loss of function and require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
How Much Does a Truck Accident Cost?
Truck accidents can be expensive, with medical bills, property damage, and lost wages adding up quickly. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the average cost of a commercial truck accident involving injuries is about $200,000. If the accident results in a fatality, the average cost can be closer to $3.6 million.
Lasting Side Effects of Minor to Severe Injuries
Truck accident injuries can have not only lasting physical side effects but also emotional impacts. These side effects can impact a victim’s quality of life for years to come.
- Chronic pain: Many truck accident victims experience chronic pain due to their injuries. This pain can be debilitating and require long-term medical treatment.
- Scarring and disfigurement: Severe injuries, such as burns or amputations, can lead to scarring and disfigurement. These physical changes can impact a victim’s self-esteem and emotional well-being.
- Reduced mobility: Injuries to the spine, limbs, or other body parts can reduce mobility and require ongoing medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Victims of truck accidents may experience PTSD, a condition characterized by anxiety, flashbacks, and other symptoms. This condition can impact a victim’s ability to work, socialize and enjoy life.
Mental Consequences of Being Involved in a Truck Accident
Being involved in a truck accident can have significant mental consequences. Therefore, victims may experience anxiety, depression, or other mental health problems. These conditions can be debilitating and impact a victim’s ability to work or socialize.
In addition to mental health conditions, truck accidents can impact a victim’s relationships with friends and family. Because of this, loved ones may struggle to understand the victim’s experience and provide the support they need.
Consequences of a Truck Accident Injury: How Your Quality of Life May Change
Truck accidents can significantly impact your quality of life because you may require ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation, and therapy, depending on the severity of your injuries. In addition, this can also impact your ability to work or enjoy the activities you once enjoyed.
On top of that, truck accidents can also cause emotional distress. Victims will sometimes struggle with anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions that impact their quality of life.
Types of Compensation You Can Recover
You might be entitled to compensation for your damages or financial losses after suffering a terrible injury in a truck accident. The types of compensation you can recover include:
- Medical expenses: Compensation for medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor’s visits, medication, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages: If you can no longer work due to your injuries, you can receive compensation for lost wages as well as lost earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: You may receive compensation for physical and emotional pain and suffering resulting from the accident.
- Property damage: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident, you might be entitled to compensation for repairs or replacement.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, you may be entitled to punitive damages if the truck driver or trucking company acted with gross negligence or intentional disregard for your safety. You need to know, however, that juries rarely award punitive damages.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney to Discuss Your Claim
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as you can to discuss your legal options. An attorney can help you determine the value of your claim and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.
They can also investigate to help you gather evidence to support your claim, such as accident reports, witness statements, phone records, surveillance camera footage, medical records, and more. The earlier the investigation begins, the better the chances your attorney will be able to collect the evidence needed to build the strongest case possible.
Your lawyer can also work with medical experts to document the extent of your injuries and the long-term consequences they may have on your life.
Sand Law attorneys have extensive experience in truck accident cases. We help our clients obtain millions of dollars in compensation and are ready to do the same for you. Contact us to schedule a free case review by calling 651-291-7263 or using our online form as soon as possible.