A collision of any kind on the road is a terrifying prospect – even the smallest cars can do major damage to each other when they collide at speed. Crashes involving large trucks like eighteen wheelers, however, can be a whole new level of nightmarish. If you were inured in a Woodbury truck accident, contact the experienced lawyers at Sand Law LLC.
In 2017, over 4,000 people were killed in accidents involving large trucks. Even if the crash isn’t fatal, often the injuries sustained are debilitating and permanent due to the sheer size and force of a truck smashing into a passenger vehicle. Accidents of this kind often result in spinal cord damage, whiplash, brain injuries, and chronic pain that can last for years or a lifetime – injuries that can make day-to-day life difficult, maybe even impossible. While no amount of financial compensation can erase the trauma of the experience, it can help in the immediate and long-term aftermath. Medical bills for your injuries can climb to six figures or more. You deserve to be compensated for the income lost from your injuries, and our experience team of truck accident lawyers can help you get it.
What To Do After A Woodbury Truck Accident
Woodbury truck accidents are messy situations by nature. Often, victims are stuck in their vehicles incapacitated, unable to do anything but wait for paramedics and law enforcement to arrive. Others truck collisions involve injuries in which the car driver can still move around. When the damage is on this level, often the injuries sustained are minor and do not hinder the occupants’ ability to take action after the crash.
There are steps you can take in the immediate aftermath of any accident, truck accidents included, that can help prove who caused it. You can also collect important insurance information from the other drivers, and begin the official report with the police, and gather witness information.
The details collected at the scene of the crash are essential for when insurance companies become involved. Drivers will sometimes simply leave a scene without calling the police, only for the full extent of their injuries to reveal themselves days or weeks later. Evidence at the site of the crash may go unaccounted for, and may render it impossible to prove who was at fault for the collision.
To prevent costing yourself money, be sure to follow these steps after any truck accident, no matter how minor it may seem:
- Evaluate your situation. Take every precaution after the crash to not make any injuries you or others have any worse. The size difference in vehicles involved means the odds are not in your favor. You and your passengers will have the most severe injuries, not the truck driver in his multi-ton rig. If you are unable to exit your vehicle or reach your phone, don’t force it. Have the truck driver or a bystander call the paramedics, then sit tight and wait for them to arrive and take over. In this scenario, this is it for what you need to do.
- Move to safety. If you and/or your passenger’s injuries are not immediately life threatening, there is more you can do. Move to the side of the road so as to let traffic go past, and, if you’re able or can enlist nearby bystanders for help, move your vehicle to the side of the road.
- Collect basic information. Talk to the truck operator, and get all of the contact information you can. Write down the plate number on the truck, license number, the company they work for, the ID number on the truck, their personal phone number if you can, and any other information that’s pertinent.
- Contact the police. When the police arrive, give your report to them, and be as exact as you can. Gather contact information of any bystanders on the scene who witnessed the crash.
- Seek medical attention. Go the emergency room as soon as possible. Doctors will be able to find injuries you yourself may not be aware of.
- Notify your insurance company. Contact your insurance provider to inform them of the incident. Just give them the basics and don’t agree to record a statement or sign anything.
- Contact an attorney. Finally, call an experienced attorney who can begin helping your with the legal process if the truck driver’s negligence was at fault for the accident.
CONTACT A WOODBURY TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
Sand Law is here to assist you if you have been injured in a Woodbury Truck Accident. We have worked with many injured truck accident victim and assure you that we will pursue your claim aggressively and with the professional service we have become known for. Sand Law will seek to receive maximum compensation for your commercial truck accident injury so that you can recover physically and mentally.
To arrange a free consultation with a top-rated injury attorney, please call us at 651-291-SAND (651-291-7263) or contact us online to request your free consultation and case evaluation. We look forward to hearing from you and to seeing how we can help your family. There is no fee unless we obtain compensation for your injury.
SAND LAW LLC
7650 Currell Blvd Suite 3140
Woodbury, MN 55125