Call us: 651-291-7263
Menu Call Now

What Should I Do About My Car Accident Medical Bills?

When someone is hurt in an accident with a commercial truck, they may assume they’re going to receive a lot of money, and their medical expenses will ultimately be taken care of. If they’re hurt by an uninsured driver, they may panic, because they have no idea how they’ll pay for those expenses. Either way, someone is going to be responsible for taking care of the bills.

No matter what your situation may be, the experienced car accident attorneys with Sand Law may be able to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. We’ll know exactly how much your case will be worth, and work to uncover the evidence needed to make your case as strong as possible.

Here’s some information on how your medical bills will be paid as your case progresses. If you would like to speak with one of our attorneys for a free consultation, just contact us online or give us a call at 651-291-7263.

What Should I Do About My Car Accident Medical Bills - Sand Law LLC - Minneapolis St Paul Minnesota Personal Injury Attorney

Steps to Take After a Car Accident

If you want to protect your health – as well as your case – keep the following in mind if you’ve suffered an injury in a wreck.

Alert the Hospital That You Were Involved in a Car Accident

The most important thing you’ll need to do after a car accident is to get immediate medical attention. Even if you think you’re fine, you still need to get checked out. You may have an incredible amount of adrenaline running through your body. And you might not realize just how badly hurt you really are.

If you delay medical treatment, you could be putting your health in extreme danger. There are some types of injuries that don’t show symptoms for a long time after an accident takes place. If treatment isn’t administered as soon as possible, those injuries can have effects that can last a lifetime.

Failing to see a doctor could also harm your case. It could make it much easier for the at-fault driver’s insurance company to claim that you really weren’t hurt that badly. And that you don’t deserve the money you’re trying to obtain.

Keep Documentation of Medical Visits and More

Eventually, you’ll very likely need to prove the extent of your injuries. And the cost of whatever treatment you receive as well. Keep every medical bill, and every receipt. You should also keep bills from any follow-up doctor’s visits – even your parking receipts. If you win your case, you’ll very likely be reimbursed for every penny that comes out of your pocket.

Work with a Car Accident Attorney to get the Compensation You Deserve

This will also be critically important. Don’t count on the at-fault driver – and especially their insurance company – to do what’s right and pay what you have coming for your suffering. There’s a very high likelihood you’re going to need the help of an attorney to obtain full and fair compensation.

But there’s more to full compensation than just money for your medical bills. For example, you’ll probably have to go through significant pain and suffering – especially if your injury is so severe that you won’t be able to enjoy the same quality of life as before.

How Your Car Accident Medical Bills Will be Paid

It’s hard for injury victims to actually wrap their heads around how the medical bills they’re piling up will actually be taken care of while their case is ongoing.

First, it’s important you know that Minnesota is a “no-fault” state when it comes to insurance. This simply means that, regardless of who was to blame for your accident, your auto insurance company will be responsible for paying your medical expenses first. This will occur through your policy’s PIP (Personal Injury Protection) coverage. PIP will cover up to the first $20,000 of those expenses.

If PIP doesn’t cover all of your bills (and it probably won’t, if you’ve been seriously hurt), that’s when your health insurance will take over. You’ll still be responsible for any co-pays and deductibles. But you may be able to get reimbursement from the at-fault driver’s insurer.

Hire a Car Accident Attorney if You Have High Medical Bills

The no-fault system is designed to reduce the amount of lawsuits that are filed in Minnesota. However, there are certain circumstances where an injury victim may be able to go outside the no-fault system in order to pursue full compensation. If the following apply, you will very likely be able to take legal action.

  • You suffered either a permanent injury or permanent disfigurement.
  • Your medical expenses (not including diagnostic tests) are more than $4,000.
  • Your disability is expected to last for more than 60 days.
  • The accident victim passes away.

In order to have the best chance of succeeding, however, you’re going to need a skilled legal representative. You can expect the at-fault driver’s insurer to fight aggressively to either greatly reduce your compensation, or deny your claim altogether. If you don’t have an attorney by your side, you’ll basically have no chance to win.

Your attorney will work to gather the evidence needed to prove without a doubt that the other driver is to blame for the accident. And therefore, that you should receive all the compensation you’re asking for as a result. Faced with that proof, insurers will oftentimes offer a fair settlement.

But if that offer isn’t forthcoming, your lawyer will be ready to fight that insurer in court. There are many instances where a jury award will be much larger than a settlement. Insurance companies know they don’t want to risk that by taking on one of our firm’s attorneys in a courtroom. They will typically be much more willing to settle for an equitable amount, rather than possibly losing much more.

Contact the Car Accident Personal Injury Attorneys at Sand Law Today

The attorneys with Sand Law have extensive experience representing car accident injury victims. You can count on us to aggressively fight on your behalf to help you get the money you deserve. We have a track record of delivering results for our clients, and we’re ready to do the same for you.

If you would like to learn more about us, and to schedule a consultation for more information on how we may be able to help, call us at 651-291-7263 or use our online form.